[Lswtalk] Topic of conversation for next meeting

Erin Chesnutt echesnut at beau.org
Thu Jul 7 15:18:00 CDT 2011

  Hi, all.

I won't be able to make it to next week's LSW meeting, but I do have an
issue to bring to the group:

We recently received our BTOP laptops and I'm (still) in the process of
hashing out a policy to go along with their use.  My question concerns
our reciprocal borrowing agreement.  As a group, are we going to allow
each other's patrons with LSW cards to check out laptops from our libraries?

For instance, if one of my Beauregard residents goes to an Allen Parish
Library branch and presents his LSW card, will he be allowed to check
out a laptop there or asked to visit his home library to check out a laptop?

My inclination (though my patrons would probably be upset about it) is
to only allow laptop check-outs from the home library system.  If I have
5 patrons check out laptops from Vernon, Calcasieu and Allen PLs, each,
my library has just assumed responsibility for at least $15,000 should
something happen to those computers.  Not a situation I want to open
myself up to.

We could each certainly make this decision on a per system basis, but if
a unanimous decision could be reached by the group, it might be easier
to enforce.

--
Thank you,

Erin N Chesnutt, MLIS