[Lswtalk] LSW Overdrive Consortia collection info

Loretta Gharst LGharst at calcasieu.lib.la.us
Fri Mar 6 14:29:36 CST 2015

Good afternoon LSW,

At our last meeting there was discussion about  adding different content to our public libraries shared OverDrive collection.
Some members were interested, some were not.  This seemed like a good opportunity to discuss and update how the LSW Overdrive Consortia shared collection works.

We have asked Linda to put on the next meeting agenda 15-30 minutes to start discussion about the LSW Overdrive Consortia collection as described in email below (sorry it is so long).
Then we could plan to discuss further at next LSW meeting, and make some decisions, or, if necessary at the following monthly meeting.

This consortia arrangement began in 2010, and we had few collection development guidelines for the shared Overdrive collection.
When the LSW Overdrive consortia was set up the only guidelines were that member libraries spend a minimum of  $3,000  annually on ebooks and pay for the MARC records for the titles they selected.

A lot has changed since 2010 regarding what content is available, how it is licensed and services provided to our online library patrons.

For example, more publishers allow libraries to purchase content but do so using a variety of licensing models:

*         One copy/one user

*         Number of checkouts - 26 checkouts (Metered - repurchase?)

*         Time limited checkout - 12 months (Metered - repurchase?)

*         Combination of Number and Time - (24 months or 52 checkouts whichever comes first)

*         User and time limits - so many checkouts per user within a specific period of time

*         Unlimited simultaneous user/pay per use

Pretty much our philosophy has been to buy the content our patrons want regardless of licensing model.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this.  For example: It is a pain to have to reselect and pay for a title that was previously purchased.  However, it also gives a chance to not repurchase titles that haven't circulated well (less than 2 circs in a year) and we know that what we are repurchasing is checking out and will be reevaluated when license is near expiration again.

CPPL has been doing this purchasing because It would be very difficult (if possible) to figure out which library system originally purchased the title with the expiring license.

CPPL also is very responsive to our end users, purchasing additional copies to fill holds when demand ratio exceed 3:1 and purchasing most "Recommend to Library" (RTL) suggestions.
Again because of the way our consortia is setup it isn't easy to tell which library's patrons are placing specific holds so CPPL has been purchasing these. (It is possible in Reports to use "Current waiting list" to view your library system users with holds and "Recommendations" for quanties by system.)

CPPL is like every other library system, we want to do what we want when we want to do it.
 However, we would like to propose the following regarding the LSW Overdrive Consortia digital collection:

*         We do not require a majority vote to add a new format but do recommend it be discussed at the monthly LSW meeting prior to implementation. (For example, Calcasieu will be adding movies, which will be pay per use and will be available for all members).

*         We propose that if a library system wants to purchase content to share with the rest of the consortia that they do so.  (For example: if 3 members want to purchase Overdrive Periodicals, they can do so and all other members can share that content.)

*         We would like to propose that members discuss what would be an equitable increase in the annual minimum funding level and consider stream-lining  the selection/ordering process.

o   For example, other consortia use different formula based on circulation, materials budget, etc. to determine member funding.

o   Members may have the option of direct selection and ordering or delegate those tasks.  How this might work is instead of each member selecting and paying for content directly to Overdrive, pay Calcasieu annual fee to select and manage the collection. With the understanding that members who want to do so can still select content using carts which  Calcasieu could then order for them.  This would reduce workload for other member libraries and allow CPPL to spend money where it is needed based on patron demand.

2014

Checkouts

2014 Holds

Allen

5,107

Format

Count

Beauregard

13,496

Audiobook

7,797

Calcasieu

122,779

eBook

39,021

Cameron

3,333

Music

1

Evangeline

6,667

Video

18

Jeff Davis

16,080

Total

46,837

S. St. Landry

884

Vernon

12,347

180,693

2014 Recommend to Library (RTL)

Spent on Holds, Expiring Licenses, RTL

Audiobook

eBook

TOTAL

AUDIO

EBOOK

TOTAL

Allen

3

66

69

HOLDS

$5,766

$14,279

$20,045

Beauregard

88

603

691

METERED

$0

$23,137

$23,137

Calcasieu

691

2108

2799

RTL

$0

$44,228

$44,228

Cameron

142

63

205

Evangeline

23

4

27

2014 ORDERS = $260,613.25

Jeff Davis

13

215

228

S. St. Landry

0

21

21

Vernon

26

361

387

986

3441

4427

Looking forward to discussion. See you next week,

Loretta

Loretta Gharst
Associate Librarian
Collection & Computing Services