[Lswtalk] Overdrive - get a library card

Howard L. Coy Jr. howardlcoy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:44:48 CDT 2017

I have mixed feelings. Will it be explained that the cards are temporary,
subject to different rules for each parish, and only temporary? I like bait
and switch, get them hooked. Can they apply for additional cards, is there
a limit on cards applied for, items borrowed? And 3 month is a good time
frame for me. Some patrons will only want to borrow OverDrive. We too block
for items requiring a library card for checkout if a fine is owed. We don't
block for any use within the Library.

Yes, let's discuss.

Howard

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Erin Chesnutt <echesnut at beau.org> wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> Did you guys see / hear about the Get a Library Card (GLC) initiative from
> OD that let's patrons in your service area use their zip code and mobile
> number to apply for a mock library card to use in OD so they don't have to
> come in to the library?
>
> It's a pilot program, but they plan - as I understand it - to eventually
> allow the library to set how long the mock card can be used (during pilot
> program, it expires after 1 year) and the library can also access the list
> of registered GLC users for their area to a) count them as library card
> holders, if you so choose and b) reach out to the patron to encourage them
> to get a full library card.
>
> I'm interested in possibly exploring this (depending on how the pilot
> program pans out) but I don't know if this is a service we could sign up
> for individually or if the whole consortium would need to sign up.  Anyone
> else want to discuss at an upcoming LSW meeting?
>
> http://blogs.overdrive.com/featured-post-library-blog/2017/
> 10/17/get-a-library-card/
>

> --
>
> Erin N. Chesnutt, MLIS
> Director
> */Beauregard Parish Library/*/
> Knowledge. Growth. Imagination./

Howard L. Coy Jr., Director
Vernon Parish Library
1401 Nolan Trace
Leesville, LA 71446
337-239-2027 or 800-737-2231
www.vernon.lib.la.us
hcoy at state.lib.la.us

Don't prepare the road for your child, prepare your child for the road.

"Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to
take everything you have."