[Vplmail] Events at the Vernon Parish Library

vplmail at beau.org vplmail at beau.org
Sat Dec 3 14:21:43 CST 2011

Lots of events are occurring at the Vernon Parish Library now and through the new year.

Currently through mid-January, 2012 we have an exhibit on the historic Fullerton Sawmill. This is on loan from the Calcasieu Ranger District, Boyce, La. Fullerton was named after its owner S. H. Fullerton and the town existed from 1907 to 1927. The town was modern even by today's standards. The town had a hospital, dentist, commissary, cafe, post office, drug store barber shop, public telephones, bank, feed store, Ford dealership and even a jail.

Community life included a "motion picture show", dance pavilion, town band, town baseball team, Boy Scout troop, and a public swimming pool. It had both an elementary and high school. Religious life was centered around both Protestant and Catholic churches.

January 5 we will offer our free Computer Foundations class;
January 17 Customer Service
February 3 Introducing Windows.
All classes are 9-5, and classes are limited to 15 students. To register, call toll-free 888-487-2700 or register online at www.lajacc.state.lib.la.us/training.

January 9 at 7:00 p.m. we will host Frank Griffin, author of Touched by Fire. Autographed copies  of his book will be available for purchase, $17 for paperback, $28 for hardcover. "A father and son who never met. One murder that changed a state. One murder that changed a nation."

January 23, 7 p.m. we will present another free concert in our Musical Odyssey VIII series. George Heard, Harmonic Red and the New Heard will be in concert.

More information about all of the above programs are available at the Vernon Parish Library.

Howard L. Coy Jr., Director
Vernon Parish Library
1401 Nolan Trace @ Abe Allen Drive
Leesville, LA 71446