[Vplmail] Upcoming events at the Vernon Parish Library

vplmail at beau.org vplmail at beau.org
Mon Jan 30 09:49:08 CST 2012

The Vernon Parish Library has several new upcoming programs scheduled that you may be interested:

February 3 Introducing Windows free computer workshop. You can register by calling 888-487-2700 or on-line at www.lajacc.sttae.lib.la.us/training. Class is from 9 am to 5 pm.

Feb. 13, Monday, Dr. Julie Kane, La. Poet Laureate will be at the library. 3:15 pm informal welcome and refreshments, program at 3:45. She will also have copies of her poetry books available for sale.

Monday, February 20, 7 pm Flat River Band will perform. This program is part of our Musical Odyssey series of free concerts

Saturday, Feb. 25, 2:30 to 4:30 pm Lovely Whitmore will autograph copies of her juvenile book in the Children's Room. The book is titled: Journals of a Wannabe Basketball Player.

Saturday, March 3, from 1 to 4 pm, author Jamie Mayes will present a reading from her book Tear Stained Dresses and Dusty Shoes. Ms. Mayes lives in Monroe, and is a native of Deride, La. The program will be in our meeting room, and autographed copies of her book will be available.

Monday, March 12, 7 pm Justin Merritt Band will perform. This program is part of our Musical Odyssey series of free concerts

The Library will begin circulating a Kindle Feb. 1. Books from our Over-Drive service may be downloaded and read on the Kindle. It will be checked out for a period of 3 weeks. If this trial program is successful, we will add more Kindles to the collection.

We are pleased to announce two new pieces of equipment for the handicapped. One is a new desktop computer with a 24 inch monitor, loaded with JAWS screen reader software and MAGic Screen Magnification software. We also have a TOPAZ Desktop Video Magnifier to provide assistance to patrons who may need screen reading or screen magnification assistance.

Our new Mobile Branch, a 35-foot unit, will begin its regular runs Monday, January 30. A complete schedule may be obtained from the Library.

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

Howard L. Coy Jr., Director
Vernon Parish Library
1401 Nolan Trace @ Abe Allen Drive
Leesville, LA 71446