[WBEL-devel] Some general cAos comments (mine of course)

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:18:58 -0500

donavan nelson [mailto:donavan@4wx.net] opined:

> 1.  They seem to have several projects going on.  We have one project.

True.

> 2.  They are certainly diverging themselves from the RH/WB typical
> installation process.  I believe that by staying very close
> to the behavior of
> RH, we position ourselves better going to forward to maintain the WB
> project/product.

Partly true.  It is true if you're commenting on the GP project.  It is not
true if you're commenting on the EL project.

> 3.  Does the cAos project have much chance to co-exist with
> RHEL installs?

Sure, why not?

> 4.  Some of the fundamental differences between WBEL and cAos
> exist because of
> the sizes of the project.  WBEL is pretty much a one person
> effort (at least
> the public face of WBEL).
>
> I'm a strong believer in WBEL and think John has started a
> project that is
> going to explode with public interest.

I think both will.

But please don't confuse cAos*-GP for all of cAos.  cAos2-EL has almost
entirely the same goals and approach as WBEL, just with a different
development community.

I'm not a developer.  I am affiliated with cAos, but I am working more on
getting mirror sites signed up for the upcoming beta release.  Still, I'd
personally love to see some kind of marriage between the two projects.  I've
even suggested as much as cAos dumping EL and using WBEL as the foundation
for GP (right now cAos EL is the foundation for cAos GP).  But the free
software community is famous for reinventing the wheel many times over. ;)