[WBEL-devel] coreutils:file differences between RHEL and WB

Paul Iadonisi pri.wbel@iadonisi.to
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:33:49 -0500

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:42, John Morris wrote:

[snip]

> and this line:
>
> # su
> install -m 4755 src/su $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/bin
>
> It appears they are explicitly making sure su in in /bin, which makes
> sense since that is where it has traditionally been.  But why is it also
> appearing in /usr/bin now and even more importantly, didn't do it when
> they built it for RHEL3 or taroon-beta.  As for the substantial difference
> in file size, wierd but since mine is the shorter I'm not sure if I should
> be worried.
>
> Any suggestions as to a fix welcome, I'm just a buildmonkey and don't
> really want to go trashing around in something as vital as coreutils if I
> can help it.

  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The coreutils package (formerly
fileutils) has traditionally been extremely sensitive to which version
of autoconf/automake used to build it.  Using a different version of
either than those recommended in the tarball was a sure way for the
build to fail.
  In some cases you, if you made a change that required a re-run of
autoconf and/or automake (generating .in files from .am files),
everything would go to hell.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this
particular issue has something to do with the .in files being generated
with one version of the autotools and then the build being done with
possibly two slightly different versions of autotools.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator