[WBEL-devel] Hello, I'm new here

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy@kaplowitz.org
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:40:37 -0500

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY

Hi all,

I subscribed to this mailing list last night and read all of the already
voluminous archives. Good job so far! I'm very interested in playing
around with WBEL, even though I have only a limited amount of Red Hat
experience. (I started on it, but then moved to Debian.) I think it's
very important that something like WBEL exist, to keep Red Hat honest
and also to provide a way of trying out RHEL before buying it. The
reason I'm interested in seeing what RHEL/WBEL is like is so that I can try
Red Hat's enterprise programs (portal server, CMS, etc.) on a system as
close as possible to one of their supported configurations, and also
because I was impressed by how much Red Hat seems to have improved their
ability to update and install packages smoothly relative to when I
started with Linux back in the days of Red Hat Linux 5.1.

I can code where necessary, and I have a good amount of packaging
experience (although not with RPM) since I am a Debian developer. You
might be interested to adopt some of the machinery or methodologies of
Debian, since you are another Internet-based community distro, and if so
I can explain them. (I say this because someone mentioned a package
maintainer model in a previous post, and that got me thinking.) Anyway,
I have WBEL installed on a VMWare virtual machine and I'll get going
with it. Thanks for getting this project going, I found it when I was
thinking of starting something similar but now don't have to do it all
myself.

As a side note, it seems that both of the mirrors don't have a headers/
directory within the 3.0-RC2/en/os/i386/ directory, so that causes
problems for up2date. If I ignore your advice to change the sources it
will probably work, since whiteboxlinux.org has this directory, but I'm
choosing not to out of respect for your connection. It'd be useful to
have this fixed so that I can apply what few updates there are.

Whether through mere bug reports or suggestions or through actual code
or packaging work, I look forward to helping out as I have time.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org / jimmy@debian.org

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY--