[WBEL-devel] frills for WBEL?

donavan nelson donavan@whiteboxlinux.net
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:07:13 -0600

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:39:59 -0500, Hedemark, Magnus wrote
> OK so the discussion has come up about offering new packages, and a few
> people spoke up stating they would leave the project.  I don't think
> that is necessary.  Remember the old Fedora project, before Red Hat

I didn't see that public stated.  Perhaps you received private email.  My
objection to the additions was putting them in the "core" distribution.  An
extras/frills/bonus CD combined with an ISO/yum repository is certainly an
excellent idea.

> took it over? The idea is a good one, and one that could be very
> useful for the WBEL community.

Agreed.

> If you want a vanilla RHEL-like environment, don't go out of your
> way to install the frills.

As suggested.

> Ideally a package tree like this would be carried on the whiteboxlinux.org
> distribution so that the mirror sites would pick it up.  But if it isn't
> picked up by TPTB, no matter, it would be only slightly more hassle for

Management of this repository take time and effort on several peoples parts.
I'd be more than willing to manage such a repository on my website including
serving as the main respository.

I'm currently working with one person on colocation for servers and bandwidth.
 As well as actively solisiting hardware vendors for hardware donations (1U
server class boxes) in exchange for banners on the whiteboxlinux.net website.

I would guess the bandwidth deal could be in place with a phone call or two
and a couple of gentleman's agreements.  I've yet to find any solid interest
in the hardware donations.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

.dn

--
Donavan Nelson