[WBEL-devel] /bin/su and /usr/bin/su

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:13:22 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Charles Lacour wrote:

> What's odd is that the source rpms are identical. That means it pretty much
> has to be either the environment it was compiled in, or the flags it was
> compiled with.

Yea, that is the odd bit.

> John, what did you use to compile that package? (I'm assuming rpmbuild, but I
> don't know what parameters you passed it, or if you edited any of the config
> files.)

To date everything is built with a plain vanilla rpmbuild --rebuild <path
to srpm>.  I do plan to add the build options to emacs, filesystem and
grub that Michael Redinger of the rhel-rebuild list recommends.

The odd part is the spec file specifically installs su into /bin and I
can't see any other place that installs a copy into /usr/bin.

Unless someone else looks into the matter and has an "Ah-Ha!" moment I'm
going to do my usual response to such matters.  Whack it with a big stick,
as in patch the .spec thus:

# su
install -m 4755 src/su $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/bin
# Hack to prevent /bin/su and /usr/bin/su
rm $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%_bindir/su

It will work, but doesn't explain WHY it went wrong in the first place.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!