[WBEL-devel] Questions RE WhiteBox Linux..

donavan nelson donavan@whiteboxlinux.net
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:10:27 -0600

> Anyways, a few questions/concerns:
>
> 1.  RedHat seems to have butchered the kernel pretty badly for the
> AS/ES series, intermingling some of their in-house drivers with the
> standard kernel tree (tried forever unsuccessfully to rebuild
> taroon's kernel without RH QLA2200 support, using the native driver
> only, among other problems).  I guess the concern is this- AFAIK,
>  WhiteBox is running a 'standard' kernel from kernel.org or from
> RH9.  With AS/ES being 'certified' for use with Oracle and other big
> name software, what are the chances of RH's 'tweaked' kernel solving
> problems (performance or other) that the standard kernel branche,
>  and thus WBL, don't?  In other words, how closely is WBL going to
> attempt to track RH*S changes and tweaks so users can still run
> 'RH*S certified) apps without issues?
>
> 2.  Updates- Another obnoxiousness from RH- AFAIK, unregistered RH*S
> users are unable to use up2date without purchasing a support
> agreement.  Are there any plans in place to provide a means to
> perhaps use up2date with a 3rd party server, mirroring the RH*S fixes?
>
> 3.  TODO list?  I've seen the Known Bugs listing, but it lists
> somewhere around a half dozen items only...I'm sure there's GOT to
> be more than that??
>
> 4.  FAQ/more info- yep, read the HOWTO link, which is good reading,
>  but the fact I'm asking #s1-3 above makes me thing WBL could
> certainly use some more docs ;-)  Anything planned or any links I've
> missed?

You get what Redhat provides in their SRPMs.  Bugs included.  :D

If we could get some direction/support from John I have the infrastructure
ready to go to support all requested issues FAQ/TODO/UP2DATE info, etc. etc.

For now, I'm kind of holding my breath.  I don't want to put more time into
something that isn't going to be blessed and or used by the core developer of
WBEL.  Obviously, I could fill several pages on the website below with
valuable information.  I invite you to check it out and check back often.
Perhaps once John gets back into the swing of things we will have some
feedback.  I know getting RC2 out was a major strain.

.dn

--
Donavan Nelson
donavan@whiteboxlinux.net