[WBEL-devel] finally installed RC2 last night

Daniel Robitaille whitebox@robitaille.fastmail.fm
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:15:51 -0800

I finally was able to installed RC2 last night.  Up to now, it just
works (tm), so that's good.  I'll be doing more poking around in
incoming days to test it more in my configuration.

The hardware it is installed on:  an older PI, 233Mhz with 96 megs of
memory.   It is in use as a home desktop, and will dual-boot with RedHat
9 until the official release of WBEL is out.

As a first time user of any RHEL-type products (but RedHat Linux 8 and 9
user), it was quite nice to see that the install was quite familiar for
me.

No problems seen yet on WBEL, but a couple of very minor points I
noticed while installing it:

*) The WBEL license agreement you have to agree on during install
contains at the end a line about the RedHat trademark.  Maybe the Linus'
Linux trademark should be added there as well for completeness.

*) During the firstboot, when selecting the proper date/time, you have
the option of turning on ntp for automatic time synchronization.   But
by default you are only given the choice of ntp servers between two
redhat.com machines (clock and clock2).  I just wonder, since this is a
non-RedHat product, if it should default to non-redhat time server.

And finally, I thought the series of little graphics about OpenSource
projects displayed during the installation of system packages was a nice
touch.

--
Daniel Robitaille