Ah-Ha! (was: Re: [WBEL-devel] /bin/su and /usr/bin/su)

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:20:17 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

> > Unless someone else looks into the matter and has an "Ah-Ha!" moment I'm
>
>   Got it!  Build the package as a non-root user.  There's this little
> snippet of code in the src/Makefile:

Ok, the good news is ya found it.

>   Actually, *all* packages should be built as non-root.  I believe
> that's the way Red Hat builds them internally.  In fact, it was the
> reason for the introduction of the %dev keyword: so that you could build
> rpms requiring device files without needing to be root.

And the bad news..... :)  Ok, I have dug in and read up on building as
non-root and have now successfully build coreutils with only one copy of
su and no hacks to the spec.  So now I'm setting out to rebuild everything
non-root and compare.

>   Who knows, it might even solve some of the other unexplained problems.

That's what I'm worried about, so rebuild em all I say.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!