[WBEL-devel] An "Issue" with WBEL (pun intended)

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:13:29 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, John Hinton wrote:

> I was just trying to install Webmin on WBEL. Turns out it looks in
> /etc/issue to discover the version of Linux and installs based on that.
> Yup, my issue is that issue is changed to White Box and Webmin can't see
> it. I've contacted the auther of Webmin about adding up to his list of
> good OSs. Well, anyway... at the moment what I need is the original RHEL
> content of the 'issue' file so I can solve my issue! ;)

Longterm they need to stop looking in /etc/issue since that is a file it
is allowed for sites to customize.  Our main server has a neat ANSI art
penguin.  :)  If they need to determine the distribution they should look
for *-release and other more reliable hints.

The RHEL3 file should be pretty close to:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 3.0AS (Taroon)
Kernel \r on an \m

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!