[WBEL-devel] Package Keys

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:41:48 -0500 (EST)

donavan nelson  said:

> I think roll up releases should follow the RH update cycle.  I know they
> claim
> quarterly, but I'll believe it when it happens.

The beta for Update 1 is out:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-beta-list/2003-December/msg00000.html

>  Second whats going to
> mark a
> major update from rh vs a minor update?  Since they "release" everything
> in an
> update, who's going to decide what it is?  I'm sure RH will do a full rev
> version for the new kernel, but what about some of the other biggies?

History shows major changes (IE new kernel) only happen at a major release.

> would
> presume at some point what is known as RHEL 3 will get an update with the
> new
> kernel 2.6.x in 2005 or 2006.

That would put it in the RHEL 4 time frame, so I don't see RHEL 3 getting it.

>  I'm sure customers on the RHEL 3 track will
> want it, but not RHEL 4.x or RHEL 3+?.  Heck, I want it now, just for the
> improved SMP scheduling support.  I just don't dare put it on anything
> production.  Another thing coming would be booting from SATA not to
> mention
> SATA II (3Gbps) is just around the corner.  If RHEL 3 goes without support
> for
> kernel 2.6 and SATA II until EOL, I'll eat this keyboard.

I don't think you understand the purpose for RHEL.  Change is a bad thing.
 If RH gets a bunch of third party apps certified (Oracle, Unicenter,
etc.) it makes no sense to change a kernel mid-release.

IIRC Red Hat has already stated that kernel 2.6 won't ship until the next
version of RHEL.

--
William Hooper