[WBEL-devel] patchs for missing rpms

Paul Iadonisi pri.wbel@iadonisi.to
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:00:06 -0500

[Oops, this was sent from the wrong account originally.  Apologies if
appears twice.]

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 15:36, donavan nelson wrote:

[snip]

> Maybe I'm one of a few, but I normally don't like to use --force to install
> RPMs.  So I tried all sorts to different ways to get glibc...x686 installed.
> Finally just resorted to --force.

  Congratulations on being one of those few.  I cringe when I see no end
of people recommend using --force and --nodeps on a regular basis
without regard to the consequences.  Then to top it off, they bitch
about so-called 'rpm hell'.  Go figure.  It's kind of like I how I scold
any sysadmin I see do a 'kill -9' as a matter of course while killing a
process, without even trying just plain old 'kill' first.  Not good.
  Unfortunately, --force is the only choice in this case without
resorting to a rescue disk.  If you use a rescue disk, you can remove
the old glibc with --nodeps and then install the new one.  The problem
is that rpm does not check the architecture (i386 vs. i686) so as far as
it's concerned, both glibc packages are the same.  As long as you are
using -U and not -i, then the result will be okay and you will have a
consistent system (i.e.: same as you would if the i686 glibc rpm had
been installed originally).
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator