[WBEL-devel] Re: [WBEL-users] Question about RHEL Licensing

clacour@clacour.com clacour@clacour.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:00:13 -0600 (CST)

> The way I understand the RHEL licensing is that you can install the
> purchased software on as many machines as you want.  The license only
> applies to the updates from RHN in binary form and support for the
> registered software.

As _RHEL_, no that's not true. If you take the RHEL CDs and install them
as-is, you're violating the licence.

You can copy the software, as you pointed out, but then it's not Red Hat
Enterprise Linux anymore, which is what Red Hat wants.

Of course, if you make a copy of the CD with legal images, you become
legal (which is the whole point behind Whitebox).