[WBEL-devel] BitTorrent isos hosed (I think)

clacour@clacour.com clacour@clacour.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:20:33 -0600 (CST)

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:36:54AM -0600, clacour@clacour.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Something's not working.
>>
>> An md5sum of the files I have in my final-bins-fixed directory is:
>
>> 79375ec3b128e652d3d9c5a6f9495469  liberation-i386-binary-3-fixed.iso
>
>> Are you certain your 3rd image matches the Web page's md5sum:
>> 184af501ce2a2e507371558b77d075a6 ? (And are we certain the web page
>> has it right?)
>
>   Yup, just verified it.  Did you grab the entire iso from me, or did
> you
> start with the bad one from the original torrent?  You would *think*
> that if you started with a bad one that it would re-download the whole
> iso, but who knows.

Ok, I've got a good file now.

I used dd to chop the liberation...3... file to 500 MiB, then started
btdownloadcurses.py. It finished the file off, and the resulting file is
good. (I'm more than a little curious why doing that and finishing the
file from NCSU worked for you, but not for me, but that's another
issue...)

I've joined your torrent, and I'm posting this so anyone else with bad
files will know what to do with them to get BT to "fix" them.

If we can ever figure out exactly what happened, we should have a LOT of
info for the BT guys.  (My guess is that when they went to doing the file
sequentially, they threw out the checksum that verified the individual
blocks that were already there were good.)