[WBEL-devel] Network startup problem on bootup

Chris Weisiger cweisiger@i-55.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:28:22 -0600

Ok here the info you requested:

Network card:
It is a linksys 10/100 card using the tulip module, i didnt have to load
any drivers to use it.
The card is detected i noticed in boot.log or messages as Lite-On PNIC-II

On the initial bootup process: when i use the following:
DHCP: it returns the error: failed: no link present check cable?

Assigned IP: returns status [OK]

When i bring eth0 up:
Using the following:

DHCP: it gets assigned an IP address and i am able to use my network
connection

Assigned IP: it starts properly and am able to use my network connection

each way: i can use ifup eth0, /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop/start and
the eth0 connection works properly

the correct module is being loaded, it uses the tulip driver
the only difference i see in the lsmod command in whitebox is the
following listing when i run lsmod

crc32          3712     0   [tulip]

the preceding line is NOT listed when i run lsmod on my redhat 9 box

there is a line in /var/log/messages
Autonegotiation failed, using 10baseT link beat status 10ce

and another line that reads
divert: freeing divert_blk for eth0

there is also this in boot.log
Found device IRQ 11 00:07.2
Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:11.0

eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II at 0xd8975000, <MAC ADDRESS>, IRQ 11

hopefully this is enough information for you to determine what might be
the problem

final notes:
YES the cable is connected
the card im using is the SAME exact card running in my redhat 9 box im
am using as my current server OS
that im am using in whitebox linx..

thanks for the help