[WBEL-devel] re: 2nd RC coming?

donavan nelson donavan@4wx.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:34:50 -0600

---------- Original Message -----------
From: John Morris <jmorris@beau.org>
To: whitebox-devel@beau.org
Sent: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:49:35 -0600 (CST)
Subject: [WBEL-devel] re: 2nd RC coming?

> So how about this as a tentative gameplan?  Assuming no more
> problems turn up I'll make a special effort over this coming long
> weekend to fix everything on the known bugs list except for tora.
> Gettext is something I'd like to fix, but we can just keep the
> binary from RC1 if all else fails.  (I don't have Oracle so other
> than shooting in the dark trying to get it to link I have no way to
> test it.) If that goes well I'll push through to get a new set of
> ISO images burned and tested in house.  If they work they will be
> posted as RC2 with the understanding that if no brown paper bag
> incident happens within a week after release it will be declared
> -final and any problems found after that will be fixed by releasing
> errata instead of ISOs.

This seems like a good game plan.  I really doubt we are going to find too
many oracle installations running on WB anyway.  If you can afford an Oracle
license, aren't you going to just buy RHEL AS?

> Only one week to test could be too short, so a question: is it an
> achievable target?

1 week is not enough time to test RC2.  I'd suggest 2 weeks.  What about
something like:

DEC 1, public release of RC2
   ... fix new issues etc.
   resolve up2date, yum, apt, or whatever for updates
   any other todos?
DEC 15, public release of -Final

One thing I haven't seen addressed is are you going to ship -Final with all
current RH errata applied?  (If you are, I think RC2 should include it also.)

> The only really new things needed for -final is a solution to the errata
> and rhnlib issues and they appear solvable.  Really think the key
> thing is to be shooting for a -final far enough ahead of the Dec 31
> drop dead date on RH 7.3 to leave people time to do the things they
> need to do internally to QA, customize & begin to deploy. But if
> anyone has any ideas, shout em out!

RH 7.3 won't stop working on Dec 31st, it just won't be supported.  I don't
think RH would put off fixing public issues to push them PAST EOL.  In all
honesty, I think running on 7.3 for a couple months isn't going to be a killer
as I suspect that any security issues will be fixed by the community.

These are just my caffeine induced early morning ramblings. (what you asked
for isn't it?)

Thanks for everything and take care.