[WBEL-devel] re: 2nd RC coming?

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:51:35 -0600

I am using Oracle 9iR2 patchset 3 (9.2.0.4) on WBEL...installed via the
RHEL instructions here:

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml#RunningOracleInstallati
onOnRHELAS3

With no major problems .... Here are a couple other references I used:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=135&thread=209334

https://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-beta-list/2003-August/msg00389.ht
ml

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

-----Original Message-----
From: John A. Tamplin
To: donavan nelson
Cc: whitebox-devel@beau.org
Sent: 11/25/2003 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WBEL-devel] re: 2nd RC coming?

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> This seems like a good game plan.  I really doubt we are going to find
too
> many oracle installations running on WB anyway.  If you can afford an
Oracle
> license, aren't you going to just buy RHEL AS?

Actually the database itself is free for application development only
from
otn.oracle.com.  I use it on my home machines to test platform
independence of my perl-DBI code across Oracle, Informix, PostgreSQL,
and
MySQL.

> One thing I haven't seen addressed is are you going to ship -Final
with all
> current RH errata applied?  (If you are, I think RC2 should include it
also.)

> RH 7.3 won't stop working on Dec 31st, it just won't be supported.  I
don't
> think RH would put off fixing public issues to push them PAST EOL.  In
all
> honesty, I think running on 7.3 for a couple months isn't going to be
a killer
> as I suspect that any security issues will be fixed by the community.

I agree that Dec31 is not a drop-dead date, but I think by then the
users
will have decided on a migration plan even if they aren't implementing
it
immediately.  So, I think it is more important to have a solid RC2 early

than it is to have -Final done early.

--
John A. Tamplin                                 jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME                               4116 Manson Ave