[WBEL-devel] Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?

John A. Tamplin jat-public01@jaet.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:59:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Vlad Mazek wrote:

> I do not think you will see proprietary compilers, java installers or
> anything of the sort because that takes money to develop and in return
> brings in $0 revenue. What is more likely is that they try to create
> different support levels - $ for ftp, $$ for up2date, $$$ for RHN Managed,
> $$$$ for something else. In the worst case scenario, they could only allow
> registered Redhat Linux Enterprise customers access to the errata.

They essentially had that before with RHL/RHN vs. RHEL/RHEN and apparently
decided the gains from the commercial world offset those (few?) who were
willing to pay for support for RHL.  They can't easily restrict access to
the errata because they would run afoul of GPL, but they could make it
hard enough to use to be worthless if they perceived it as a threat to
their business model.

My guess is they will come up with some low-level support option for
Fedora after they have migrated as many as possible to RHEL.

--
John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave