[WBEL-devel] Long- Thoughts on WB maintenance (was Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?)

Imre Solti isolti@mail2.vcu.edu
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:23:38 -0500

Nice to see that the thread I started with an innocent technical
question (How to get the RHEL Errata) has such a long life. :-)

A few comments to Sebastian's email.
1) RH is a company with business interests.
2) If RH the company will start bleeding serious money because of the
popularity of WBEL (or other similar projects) then RH will do
everything within the letters of the GPL (and not necessarily the
spirits) to make WBEL's life harder. They should because they have
shareholders and the management will be responsible to them.
3) The biggest potential problem with WBEL is that it depends on RH's
good intentions or the GPL's protection whichever is stronger here to
"provide" some sort of access to the errata's source code and this code
should be easy enough to compile and generate binaries for WBEL.

IMHO, one way to ensure that RH will tolerate us is not to become "too"
successful. If only those people and organizations will use WBEL that
otherwise would never subscribe more than one box to official RHEL-RHN
and would just "cheat" and install unofficial copies of RHEL and move
binaries to these boxes by violating the RH EULA then I think WB - RH
relationship will be OK. I am talking about individuals (SOHO), small to
medium size businesses and potentially Universities. If "real" big
business would start to use WBEL instead of subscribing hundreds of
boxes to RHEL then RH will start tinkering with their errata to make
existence of WBEL harder or impossible.

Intentionally staying small means that organizational structure remains
somewhat fuzzy, no money involved (other than occasional donations) and
most importantly it means that WBEL remains a download only and no CD
distro. So, although the generating and selling (even for a nominal fee
only) CDs idea (saw in an other thread) is understandable from the point
of convenience of users, it might not be the best interest of WBEL on
the lung run.

Only a few thoughts. I think only time can tell how the RH - WB
relationship will work out.

Imre