[WBEL-devel] Distcc

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:22:55 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I have been playing with distcc lately to compile c programs on more
> than one PC.  (I wanted to finish Gentoo compiles faster.)

Eh?  I thought compiling was what Gentoo users enjoyed?  Kinda like
DOS/Windows users brag about their reboot speed.   [ducking]

> It may turn out a 24 hour compile in 8 hours....

Probably not in my case.  I have the one phat machine until -final when it
goes into service as our new primary server.  Other than it the fastest
machines in the building is a pair of 1.2Ghz laptops (neither is mine) and
after those the performance crown goes to some Duron 600's on desktops.
(We also have some VIA EPIA's at 933 but everyone knows their clock rate
doesn't indicate their performance level.)

The machine being replaced as our primary public machine is a P-II 300.
While it is still bravely soldiering on, carrying email for a thousand or
so active accounts plus web, DNS, NIS/NFS, RADIUS, NTP, lpd, ftp, etc. it
really is time to pump it up a bit.  And guess where whiteboxlinux.org
just got hosted?  Yup.

Needless to say, RHEL contracts were never a consideration here.  We are
really cheeeeep.  :)

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!