[WBEL-devel] Heads up on RHEL Update2 Beta

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 06:47:42 -0500

My whole take on this is:

RedHat only releases bug fixes and security updates to RHEL.  There are
no version upgrades without a bug or security reason.

So a respin of the install ISO, with all fixes incorporated is good...it
means a much faster install and much fewer updates after the original
install.

Up2date (or yum) will pick the proper updates (so long as the package
name versioning is correct) reguardless of wether you installed from the
orignal ISO or a respun ISO.  (Since the respins only include some of
the newer packages)

So, as William Hooper said, you only need one update section for all the
respins...and just keep the latest package there for each package
updated (from the original ISOs), just like you are doing now.

I would think you would only keep the current respins files in the OS
directory ( 3.0/en/os/i386/ ) on the mirrors .... and copies of the
original ISOs and the Latest respin ISOs.

If you wanted the respins to be a new version number (like 3.0.1 or 3.1
instead of 3.0 ... then just put a text file in the 3.0 directory that
says goto 3.0.1 and provide an updated /etc/yum.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources files that point to the new locations).

>From a GPL standpoint, the original source ISOs and the updates SRPMS
directory (and the obsolete-updates directory) meet all the
requirements.

-Johnny Hughes