[WBEL-devel] Heads up on RHEL Update2 Beta

Ewan Mac Mahon ecm103@york.ac.uk
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:10:12 +0100

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:57:44PM -0500, John Morris wrote:

> Obviously I haven't used chroot enough.  Didn't realize you could mount
> /proc and /dev/pts multiple times inside chrooted environments. That
> changes a few things.
There are two ways to do it; either mount them multiple times (works for
virtual filing systems) or bind mount them into the new location (works
for anything). Bind mounts even work for files, so for /etc/mtab you could
do (assuming the new system is in /mnt/chroot):
# touch /mnt/chroot/etc/mtab
# mount /etc/mtab /mnt/chroot/etc/mtab --bind

> Going to start playing with some of this stuff now that I have enough drive
> space to toss a few complete trees around.

It might also be instructive to work through the first stage of a Gentoo
install - I don't know if they do anything beyond bind mounting the
necessary bits but the first stage does all take place in a chroot and
IIRC involves building grub, so there must be a way to do it.

Ewan