[WBEL-devel] Re: Ideas for improving availability

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:03:06 -0500 (EST)

Jon Lewis said:
[snip]
> Both the 'home site' (www.whiteboxlinux.org) and NCSU seem to have their
> 3.0/en/os/i386 directories based on the original release.  Before noticing
>  this, I chose to base mine on the liberation-respin1 iso files.  I don't
>  know if thats going to cause problems for anyone.  I don't expect it
> would, but AFAIK, all my installs were done from respin1, so I don't have
>  a good/easy way to test this.

If someone were to attempt a network install they would have to use a
liberation-respin1 boot disk with your mirror Vs. using an original
liberation disk with all the other mirrors.  Perhaps you can put your
respin1 tree in a different directory and hard-link the files that are the
same so you can have both trees with minimum of space lost.  For that
matter the newer RPMs in respin1 are probably already in your updates
directory and could also be hardlinked.

[snip]
> ...so my
> /3.0/en/os/i386/headers dir lacks srpm headers, which I assume only
> breaks installation of srpms via yum.  Probably not a huge deal.

But if you fix the above this can be fixed also by mirroring the headers.

> At the moment, I have it setup to rsync updates from NCSU every 2 hours.
> I see no reason to run rsync against the distribution files, since it
> appears they never change.

True.

> It would probably make sense to locate a handful of high-bandwidth (for
> some definition of HB) mirrors that would be willing to pull directly from
>  the home site and make anyone else mirror from one of them, thus
> creating two tiers of mirrors.

You need step one (more mirrors fetching from the home site) first.
[snip]

--
William Hooper