[WBEL-devel] WhiteBox Version - was Re: Notice: Mirror of mirror.physics.ncsu.edu

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:45:50 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, bishop wrote:

> > Got httpd-2.0.46-44.ent.WB1.src.rpm 6173933 48
>
> Explain to me the significance of the '1'?  I assumed that the 1 was
> supposed to be a 3, unless the 3 is silent.   Back in the day when we
> were doing the distro, we tried to use the distro number as well for
> extra differentiation, thus my assumption the 1's erroneous.

In that context the 1 is simply an incremented release number for that
package.  As in the first attempt at modifying httpd-2.0.46-44.ent for
WBEL.  If someone finds a problem with it and no new version has been
released from RH that I can roll it into, a httpd-2.0.46-44.ent.WB2
package would be released to fix the error.

Come to think of it, just as RH sometimes hatches a package with rhel3 in
it, some additional thought as to naming schemes might be required when
WBEL4 is released, but in practice it should work out allright.  Because
if RH releases the same base version for rhel3 and rhel4 they should
already be sticking those tags into the name.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!