[WBEL-devel] Network startup problem on bootup

Charles Lacour clacour@clacour.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:31:15 -0600

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 19:00, Chris Weisiger wrote:
> On the initial bootup process: when i use the following:
> DHCP: it returns the error: failed: no link present check cable?
>
> When i bring eth0 up:
> Using the following:
>
> DHCP: it gets assigned an IP address and i am able to use my network
> connection

My guess is that when it tries to run DHCP during the boot process, it hasn't
done the module stuff yet, so it doesn't know how to talk to the card.

You might try putting a line like

alias eth0 tulip

in your /etc/modules.conf.

If the RH9 kernel had the tulip driver built-in (instead of a module), that
might explain why it doesn't happen there. (The tulip driver is VERY common,
so it's not too unreasonable as something to compile in.)

Don't get your hopes up too high on this. The kernel should have been able to
figure out the need for the tulip driver without the entry in modules.conf,
and Red Hat almost always compiles everything as a module.

It's the only explanation I could think of, though, and it's an easy (and
harmless) thing to try.

Good luck,

CHL