[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Henk van Lingen henkvl@cs.uu.nl
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:09:51 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:45:24PM -0500, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:

  > I think there are some misconceptions that need to be cleared up.
  >
  > edges to pretty much the same extent.  CentOS has just been more cautious
  > about labeling their 1.0 release until the rough edges have been smoothed.

  ok, clear and fine.

  > cAos is an umbrella, soon a legal umbrella, for a number of different
  > projects.  There is a cAos distribution maintained by one group of people.
  > There is a CentOS distribution maintained by another group of people.  There
  > is of course some collaboration between the two groups.  In the end, what
  > you must realize is that CentOS is maintained by a focused community of
  > people.  WBEL is maintained by a focused person.

  (hm, caos website seems down right now) What's the reletion between
  caos and centos, the last seems to be build with tools from the first,
  iirc. What's the point or the advantage of being 'self-hosted'? I had the
  impression (probably wrong) that that was mainly 'for the fun of it' or
  'to be totally free', or whatever.

  > I follow both projects, but at $WORK I have decided to standardize on
  > CentOS.  Our vendors are falling into line one by one offering support of
  > their products on CentOS.  I have it running on one production server now,
  > and will have it running on all Linux systems by the end of the quarter.
  > The community is a great benefit;  if one of the core people gets hit by a
  > bus, the project will continue.  If John gets hit by a bus, WBEL as we know
  > it is dead.

  I agree about the benefit of some sort of community (although i must agree
  with John about webfora being a step back compared with email (how do you
  get vim working in a textarea? :-))).
  I'm also aiming at production servers, so can you convince me CentOS is
  the right choice? I'm considering Tao right now but I will give CentOS
  a try...

  Maybe someone has some idea's about how to find and judge the differences?
  Since this week, I also have a dell 2650 with RHEL 3 AS up and running
  as a reference (besides being a postgresql server).

  > > Here
  > >   there seems to be some doubts about the project continuity etc. But
  > >   according to the archives, it is used a lot and I see some familiar
  > >   names. The TaoLinux archives are very quiet.
  >
  > Mailing list archives are a bad way to judge a community.  cAos/CentOS has a
  > thriving community, but not much goes on in email.  Most of the time you'll
  > find people in #caos on irc.freenode.net.

  Well, I have been around there the last days to see what's going on there.
  (I noticed Parsley was there too :-))

  Anyways, thanx for your response.

  Cheers,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator              (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |