[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Henk van Lingen henkvl@cs.uu.nl
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:52:11 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:45:24PM -0500, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:

  > CentOS does have a number of builds out there.  Build 4 is the current
  > build.  Regardless of whether you call it a stable release or a beta or
  > whatever, the fact of the matter is it was at least as "stable" as the
  > "stable" release of WBEL.  I have had both running side by side on a number
  > of production desktop systems at $WORK and they are both rough around the
  > edges to pretty much the same extent.  CentOS has just been more cautious
  > about labeling their 1.0 release until the rough edges have been smoothed.

  Hi Magnus,

  One more question, although it may become off-topic here (but #caos and
  centos-devel list seems really quiet).
  Build 4 is around a month. What are the things being  'rough around the
  edges' in the various rebuilds? I suppose mostly artwork, remains of
  RedHat trademarks and installer things? I have the, probably
  oversimplified, impression that since we are taking about clones here
  there is not much to do anymore once a build environment/scripts has
  been set up. From there it is just building all the RH SRPMs, right?
  Additionally, I'm I right in thinking that upgrading a running system
  from build 4 to final once it arrives is simple, i.e. just updating a
  couple of rpms?

  Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator              (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |