[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:03:52 -0500

> It was the
> updates to CentOS and the public mirrors that were the major problem
> before.

Updates: Since this is still beta, updates weren't initially being provided.
The beauty of cloning is you should be able to point your yum client at a
WBEL mirror for the time being.  Updates will be provided in a timely
fashion when CentOS goes 1.0.  But there is an update tree provided at
http://caos.nplus1.net/centos-3/updates/

As for the mirrors, there are actually many.  Some have been dropped because
they weren't updating frequently enough but we've got some wicked fast
mirrors that are still with us.

> It looks as if there are more CentOS public mirrors now.

Thank you.  :)  (recruiting mirrors was my contribution)

> It seems that yum or apt are not included and the Build 4 up2date is
> 4.0.1 (not a fedora one with yum/apt built in). I do see that
> yum is now
> an addon ... so maybe that is no longer an issue.

The decision was made to stick purely with what RHEL provides, and only veer
from that when legally necessary.  Yum is provided, but as an add-on that
you have to fetch manually.  Be aware that the package that is up there now
is not customized for CentOS so you'll need to edit your /etc/yum.conf.

You'll note that all of the CentOS mirrors are fully yum-enabled.