[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:09:52 -0500

Jamey Fletcher [mailto:jamey@odin.library.beau.org] said:

> WBEL, RBEL, and CenTOS (And Taos) are what they are.

Yep.  I hope that these projects view each other as being on the same team
instead of competition.  Cross pollination is a good thing.

> I personally am getting less and less enchanted with the
> direction RedHat
> is taking on their distribution - I had Enlightenment running
> on RH9 with
> minor hair-pulling, but what worked for it is refusing to
> work under WBEL.

My rants on the direction of RHAT are well documented going back for years.
I still use it because I am more likely to have someone pay me to be
proficient in it than any other flavor of Linux.

I'm almost itching for RHAT to do something to undermine the cloning
projects so then the community will pick up the pieces, fork, and take full
responsibility for the direction of a free Enterprise class distribution.

> So, we'll see what shakes out - *PERSONALLY*, what *I* want,
> is for RH to
> get its head out of its ass, and take back the segment of the
> market WBEL
> is aiming for.

I don't see it happening.  The @redhat.com geeks seem to all be drinking the
RHEL kool aid.

> Maybe Mandrake or if someone is doing a pre-compiled
> Gentoo.

I looked at Mandrake for $WORK and dumped it because it didn't have
Kickstart ('Drake has its own answer to kickstart but it would cost too much
in re-engineering and plenty of other Red Hat derivitives still have
Kickstart).