[WBEL-devel] WBEL on PPC32?

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:02:06 -0600

>Just how useful would a port really be?

I couldn't say what a definitive answer would be.

We have several very active LUGs (Linux user groups) in my state (Utah)
including some high-profile geeks.

Since Apple revamped the MacOS to be a pretty face on top of a Unix
core, I've seen a steadily increasing number of OS X machines around. In
every case they've been running various open software on top of modifed
OS X desktops. The modifications are generally tweaks to provide tools
and gimicks from the X world. Heck, even our company's had discussions
about bringing one or two on board to see how well they play with the
penguins.

My casual observation and impressions from talking with my fellow
LUGgers is that they're not in any hurry to jetison OS X for a PPC
distro since they have a shell and for the most part their Linux/*BSD
software runs fine.

They are cool toys, and now that they run Gimp and OpenOffice, have a
shell, and can run LAMP apps, I wouldn't mind playing with them. (I've
not really used Macs since the 68k days.)

>Sparc ... affordable buildhosts aren't available.

I have a Sparc clone (U10) that I've only booted. Someday I'll get
around to toying with it more (ha ha). If there were demand for Sparc, I
might consider donating it.

I don't know how long Sparc will be around. They're a marginal niche
player now. According to my brother, a professional 3D whacker, the
graphics world has pretty much gone to x86 Linux clusters, with leftover
DEC Alpha Linux clusters.

>Alpha is for all intents and purposes a dead platform.

Anybody want an old Multia? :-) Just kidding. It's sitting on top of my
Amiga. Neither are leaving any time soon despite the dust. I was given
an Apple IIc, but have no idea whether it works.

--
One-Day Introductory Course to Medieval Longsword
http://www.thearma.org/events/utah_ntp10.htm