[WBEL-devel] Whitebox build environment

Ewan Mac Mahon ecm103@york.ac.uk
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:01:31 +0000

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:07:20PM -0800, Dean Mills wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Sorry in advance if this has been discussed, but I didn't see it in the list
> archives so here goes...
>
> What is the suggested/best/only build environment for rebuilding WB?
It's built on itself, having originally been built on one of the beta releases
of RHEL3 that RedHat made available as binaries.

>I have a server that started life as a RH 7.3 box, will that suffice or should
>I reinstall another distro/version?
In order of preference I'd use WB itself, a RH taroon beta, RH 9, FC1. In
any case the best approach is going to be to build a minimal WB system,
chroot/boot into it, build the rest, then rebuild the WB packages that
were built on the non-WB host on the WB system.

I'm curious though - why do you want to rebuild it given that there are WB
binaries already available?

>Also, is there an active requirement for any dev work for WB, and if so,
>is there a to-do list? TIA!

It's pretty much done. All that remains is to build the updates when RH
release them, and the library people have that pretty well in hand.

Unless you've got either an ia64 or an AMD64 machine, in which case it
might be worth another effort to get some sort of updates building
infrastructure for them in place.

Ewan