[WBEL-devel] Re: openssl security update needed

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:49:07 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Lamar Owen wrote:

> More specifically, most are built with '-march=i386 -mcpu=i686' which both
> optimizes for i686 instruction ordering but can still be run on earlier
> CPU's.  The -march=i386 makes it an '.i386.rpm' but that's OK, since the
> instruction ordering is still optimized for i686.  It is a tad confusing, but
> it works, and the performance benefits of '-march=i686 -mcpu=i686' are
> miniscule for OpenSSL.

Actually openssl is one of the few packages where it makes a major
difference, which is why both WBEL and RHEL include both an i386 and a
i686 package.  Big enough performance difference I could build the i686
package from my hotel normally, but the i386 package sits so long during
the regression tests their NAT box kept closing out my ssh connection.
Finally had to use nohup and let it build in the background.  Openssl has
hand tuned assembly for the i686 platform but other platforms have only
the stock C codepath.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!