[WBEL-devel] WBL Install on UML (and WBL Hosting)

Peter peter.beau.org@rimuhosting.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 09:46:48 +1200

Hi.

I made a post on the User Mode Linux list re installing White Box Linux into a UML instance:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.uml.user/3928

I'm cross-posting to whitebox-devel, since this information may be of interest for you as well.  The UML setup let's you do a few things that would otherwise require chroot or a spare machine.

For example:

You can test and re-test the WBL install process on any box with a few GB spare.

You can bootstrap your builds (build up a server from source rpms) without having to 'mess up' your original box (or use chroot).

And you can try out updates on the UML instance prior to using them on your real box.

As an aside: I've used this process to setup a White Box Linux setup.  And I made that setup available with my virtual private server and dedicated server offerings.  The distro is working out really well.  It seems quite stable.  I've got it working well with a 2.6.5 kernel.org kernel.  And I have some customers using 3rd party software (like Plesk) where the RPMs are designed for RHEL3 without any issues.

So: kudos for the job well done.

Cheers, Peter
http://rimuhosting.com/