[WBEL-devel] Security updates

Vicki Reeves vickir@beau.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:48:37 -0500

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Situation I was refering to was the slow propogation of the updates...
>
> And, how open is JohnM ( about 0% I think ) to outside help on the
> situation ?

Not meaning to speak for John -- he does that quite well on his own --
but figuring that he is very deep in sleep after a night of working on
WBEL issues, I'm going to give you my (reasonably close up) view of the
situation.

Slow propogation of updates is the #1 concern at the moment.  While we
can't do much about our bandwidth here at the library, I think what John
is working on with the mirror sites will make things much better in the
very near future.

So far as outside help, I want to start with a personal story.  When my
babies were newborn, I was the kind of mom who wanted to hide them under
the porch and growl at anyone who tried to touch them.  In time, they
grew a little stronger and I grew more confident that I understood what
they needed to thrive.  Before long, I reached a point where I was ready
for others to share in their care.

I've worked on many projects with John.  He is not adverse to help.  He
is, however, cautious and that serves us well.  We've managed to escape
many disasters because John has said, 'wait, let me look at this a
little longer before we choose a direction'.  I think that is where he
is on help with WBEL now...

no, not under the porch growling, that's where I said I would be :-)

... I think John is working on getting things correctly in place and
understanding where outside help will best fit into the WBEL project.
He reads every thing that is posted on all the lists and he carefully
considers the suggestions that are made.

Please everybody, keep suggesting and, yes, even complaining.  It all
goes into the WBEL pot and what comes out is a better product for all of us.

This is me:
Vicki Reeves          vickir@beau.org        http://www.beau.org/~vickir

This is where I work:
Beauregard Parish Library                            http://www.beau.org
205 South Washington Ave, DeRidder, LA 70634           (337)463-6217 x19
  The Library does not necessarily agree with everything I write :-D

Geek code 3.1:GIT d? s-:++ a? C++ L++$ W++ w-- Y+ b+ G e r+++

                              <><