[WBEL-devel] Re: [WBEL-users] Security updates

Sean McAdam sean@fredcom.com
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:53:57 -0400

--------------070208090907040801090801

--------------030303030709020407070800

John Morris wrote:

>On Thu, 20 May 2004, Milan [iso-8859-2] Ker¹lįger wrote:
>

>>as there are troubles with WBEL mirrors and with release delays, I
>>suggest to update all needed components by hand. This mean download from
>>http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/updates already released updates:
>>

>The problem was too many people trying to download direct.  Which is why I
>have killed http access to the whole /pub tree as of this afternoon.  And
>why the rsync appears to have finished between here and NCSU.  Really
>didn't want to have to do that, but it was the only way.  After I get the
>latest batch of errata posted I'll switch it back on.
>
>Longer term I'm really wondering how to get new versions out.

Would some sort of multi-tiered mirroring be appropriate?  Perhaps you
can provide the official site, with a few high bandwidth primary
mirrors. From there the secondary mirrors can rsync the updates.  (that
is what I do now for my own mirror server. It handles updates for about
40 boxes)

Then setup and distribute the default up2date and yum configuration
files to point to a round robin DNS entry such as:
update.us.mirror.whiteboxlinux.org. (replace "us" where appropriate)

I would not mind hosting such a secondary mirror.  I have a total of 3
Mbits that does not do too much at night, and I can spare 1 Mbit during
the day.  If we can get several people to host secondary mirrors for
updates that would remove your overworked T1 from getting pounded from
default installs updating.

>The only
>idea that seems to have the potential to really solve the problem is DVD's
>via overnight delivery.

The DVD idea may still be a good idea for the primary mirrors.

~Sean

-----
"Don't count your weasels before they pop." -- The Tick

--------------030303030709020407070800

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
John Morris wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Thu, 20 May 2004, Milan [iso-8859-2] Ker&sup1;l&aacute;ger wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">as there are troubles with WBEL mirrors and with release delays, I
suggest to update all needed components by hand. This mean download from
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/updates">http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/updates</a> already released updates:
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
The problem was too many people trying to download direct.  Which is why I
have killed http access to the whole /pub tree as of this afternoon.  And
why the rsync appears to have finished between here and NCSU.  Really
didn't want to have to do that, but it was the only way.  After I get the
latest batch of errata posted I'll switch it back on.

Longer term I'm really wondering how to get new versions out.  </pre>
Would some sort of multi-tiered mirroring be appropriate?&nbsp; Perhaps you
can provide the official site, with a few high bandwidth primary
mirrors. From there the secondary mirrors can rsync the updates.&nbsp; (that
is what I do now for my own mirror server. It handles updates for about
40 boxes)<br>
Then setup and distribute the default up2date and yum configuration
files to point to a round robin DNS entry such as:
update.us.mirror.whiteboxlinux.org. (replace "us" where appropriate)<br>
I would not mind hosting such a secondary mirror.&nbsp; I have a total of 3
Mbits that does not do too much at night, and I can spare 1 Mbit during
the day.&nbsp; If we can get several people to host secondary mirrors for
updates that would remove your overworked T1 from getting pounded from
default installs updating.<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">The only
idea that seems to have the potential to really solve the problem is DVD's
via overnight delivery.  </pre>
The DVD idea may still be a good idea for the primary mirrors.<br>
~Sean<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-----
"Don't count your weasels before they pop." -- The Tick

</pre>

--------------030303030709020407070800--

--------------070208090907040801090801

begin:vcard
fn:Sean McAdam
n:McAdam;Sean
adr:PMB 293;;905 W. 7th St;Frederick;MD;21701;USA
email;internet:sean@fredcom.com
tel;work:301.619.3744
tel;fax:301.898.8452
tel;pager:beepsean@fredcom.com