[WBEL-devel] Re: RH AS 4 -- Fedora Core 3 (CL4.1) for those that can't wait for the RHEL4 Beta

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:33:20 -0500

From: "SH" <SHRD@yandex.ru>
> Helloy, I have a question
> With the announced release  of RHEL 4 Beta, has work begun on WBEL 4?
> Really looking for it!

If you simply can't wait, consider installing Fedora(TM) Core 3 (CL4.1).
>From that, you can typically just built the few "EL" packages that might
differ (although most are locale/support "subsets" of the Fedora(TM)
versions, except for maybe the kernel).

As a general rule, the latest ".1" revision of (what I call) the Red
Hat(R) "Community Linux" (CL) release is the foundation for the next Red
Hat(R) Enterprise Linux ([RH]EL) release.  E.g.,

Red Hat(R) Linux 7.2 (CL2.2) -> Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux 2.1
  Red Hat(R) Linux 9 (CL3.1) -> Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux 3
   Fedora(TM) Core 3 (CL4.1) -> Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux 4

You'll note the exception in the first, initial release of Enterprise
Linux which was based on "CL2.2".  BTW, for completeness, I might add
that some would argue that Red Hat Linux 6.2E[nterprise] was the initial
Enterprise Linux.  Long story short, most of Red Hat's client's
preferred SuSE's "separate Enterprise Linux product" approach, hence why
Red Hat switched to the same, "separate Enterprise Linux product" model.

Then as updates come out for the last "CLx.2" (or CLx.3), those are then
pushed to the equivalent "ELx" version.  E.g., updates for EL2.1 come
from those for Red Hat Linux 7.3 (CL2.3), even though it's now "Legacy"
supported.  Updates for EL3 come from Fedora Core 1 (CL3.2), which is
now also "Legacy"s upported.  Latter updates for EL4 will come from
Fedora Core 4 (CL4.2).

For more on how Red Hat(R) Linux / Fedora(TM) Core ("CL") revisions map
to Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux, see my work-in-progress FAQ:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html#ss3.1

For more on the new Red Hat(R) update approach:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-4.html

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community