[WBEL-devel] Re: [CentOS-devel] Centos and whitebox (etc)

csieh csieh@fnal.gov
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:29:40 -0500 (CDT)

Jon,

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> Possibly I shouldn't ask this so obviously to both sets of devolopers
> but I'm curious to know if Centos and whitebox each have any major
> differences from each other.
>
> Both claim to be built from the RHEL srpms (with modifications to
> remove the trademark'd stuff etc).
>
> I discovered whitebox first simply because it was mentioned on another
> mailing list, but from first glance both appear to be attempting to
> fill the same niche (and both seem to be doing it pretty well).
>
> Clearly each distro will need slightly different tweaks (at least the
> strings might want to be different), and each will still want to
> build/sign their own RPMs -- unless they can merge their efforts of
> course.
>
> The same probably applies to the Fermi Scientific Linux etc too
> (though that isn't *just* a RHEL rebuild since they include a bunch of
> extra packages that they wrote/packaged up themselves).

Note that the name is really Scientific Linux.  Fermi is just one of the
major developers.

All of the packages that we add are to either fix broken things or add
functionality that our users need.  In the case of the added functionality
it is optional.  You have to select the rpm during install.

We also added the ability to customize a install.  This is again optional.
It does allow a site who wants to make a few changes the ability to do so
without having to know as much about rebuilding a release from scratch.

-Connie Sieh
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory