[WBEL-devel] LVM version 1.0.8-5 broken

Raimo Koski rk@raimokoski.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:47:30 -0400

Milan Kers(la'ger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 12:43:39AM -0400, Raimo Koski wrote:
>
>>Dag has similar install script in his dar package. Full install of LEL
>>is currently little over 5 GB and with the current cost of hard disks it
>>is about 2.5 $/EUR, so there is no sense in trying to save some space or
>>do tricks. That separate install partition can be used for testing and
>>comparing the results, so even that is not wasted.
>

> You don't need separate partition since chroot works far better and it
> is almost the same.

Well, it doesn't work better and it isn't the same. That install
partition should be used to install a distro, boot it, save env vars,
boot again to master, copy installed distro to chroot dir and repeat for
each distro desired. Later you can mkfs the install partition and copy
back the desired distro if you wish to boot it again. It is just 10GB
(could be less, but I am betting on the safe side) or about 5 $/EUR worth
of disk space. You get clean, original installs and can always boot to
original environment (well, booting is not as simple as I make it to be,
but doable, I am not running a class here). One of the best and most
cost efficient ways to solve problems is to throw more iron at them.
Disk space is really cheap.

> The only thing you need is to check your work for SPEC and configure
> mistakes.

Or rather fear for oddities and mistakes RH has made. J. Morris didn't
make a direct mistake with LVM, I would say he just wasn't defensive
enough against RH stupidities. And big thanks to him for making this
"mistake" and uncovering this problem.

> This is wrong to throw away chroot because somebody made a mistake only.

Not my purpose. Just bringing problems to light.

>>It will take a while before I will start using chrooted builds. Lots of
>>interesting architectural problems. For example, concurrent builds needs
>>separate /usr/src for each chroot. Is local nfs or really big chroot
>>partition the best solution. I really don't want to redo it when I start.
>

> I see no reason to have copy of /usr/src since you are able to block
> concurent build of the same packages which is normal IMHO (you have to
> have different chroots for different archs).

/usr/src has linux source code which may differ. Some subdirs could be
shared, like /usr/src/redhat/RPMS for different archs, but if you have
different distro levels, you will have hard time separating packages for
those distro levels for distribution. Much easier to have the whole tree
separate for each chroot. Performance-wise you should have
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD on a different disk as well as /var/tmp to avoid
copying within one physical disk. Add RAID to that and it gets more
interesting..

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com/  http://www.raimokoski.com/