[WBEL-devel] WBEL4 RC1 on VIA C3 CPU

Sean Atkinson sean at netproject.com
Wed Apr 27 09:40:34 CDT 2005

Hi,

I thought I'd report an issue with the WBEL4 RC1 kernel on a VIA C3
"Ezra" CPU.  On booting disc one to install, the machine reboots
immediately after loading files from the boot loader.  The installer's
vmlinuz appears identical with the file from
kernel-2.6.9-5.EL.WB1.i686.rpm.

The file /boot/config-2.6.9-5.EL.WB1 from this package includes:

CONFIG_M686=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7

I also tried vmlinuz from Debian's kerne-image-2.6.11-1-686 since it's
config file lists a cache shift of 5 which I hoped matched the Ezra.
However that behaves similarly.

The only kernels that successfully boot such as TTYLinux 4.5 and WBEL3's
2.4.21-15.EL BOOT include "CONFIG_M386=y" in their configs.

Will the final WBEL4 release support general 386 class processors, or
require "proper" 686 models instead?

Cheers,

Sean.

--