[WBEL-devel] WBEL4 RC1 on VIA C3 CPU

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 28 22:24:23 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 21:21, William Hooper wrote:

> A small boot.iso for i586 perhaps?  It might even give you a chance to
> judge interest by seeing how often it is downloaded.

Hmm.  Fairly critical ordering but it just might be possible.  Populate
the tree, run buildinstall to get the release boot.img.  Add in the i586
kernel, rebuild rpmdb the hdlists, etc. and spin the .iso images.  Then
run buildinstall again and extract that boot.iso.

It is certainly worth a try to see how hard it is.  Even if I didn't do
it for all of the respins it would give i586 one last version.  It would
mean keeping the patch to get the srpm to emit a i586 package current
for a few years but since Centos is already doing it I could always just
nick theirs.  :)

> I'd say go with the RHEL4 driver compatibility, especially if CentOS isn't
> compatible currently.

They really can't unless they also do something like the above and offer
up a supplemental boot image.  If their boot kernel is i686 it won't
boot on an older Epia or a Pentium1 and if it is i586 the modules on
driver discs are not going to insert correctly.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!