[WBEL-devel] WBEL4 Realease candidate 1 is now available via BitTorrent

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Mar 29 15:42:06 CST 2005

Ok, at long last, here is the first and hopefully only Release Candidate
for WBEL4.

You can get it at
http://whiteboxlinux.org/manifestdestiny-rc1-binary-i386.torrent

Ok, and now for the fine print.

1.  As an RC, I didn't bother to GPG sign anything.

2.  The artwork is trademark clean but lame in several places.  This is
being worked on.

3.  This release goes much farther in removing Red Hat's name from the
software than 3.0 did.  This is probably where most testing should
concentrate.

  a.  rpm-redhat-config is gone and replaced with whitebox-rpm-config.
While this was mostly clean, a few packages didn't use the macros and
had hard dependencies on /usr/lib/rpm/redhat, the kernel and xorg-x11
were the major offenders and have been fixed.  While most of the config
now says whitebox, the platform is still i386-redhat-linux-gnu because
changing that would cause no end of havok making third party packages
integrate into a whitebox system.

  b.  redhat-artwork is now system-artwork.  This only required a couple
of changes, mostly to packages already needing fixes.

  c.  redhat-logos is now whitebox-logos.

  d.  redhat-menus is now system-menus.

  e.  redhat-release is again whitebox-release.  And again, during the
RC phase there is no symlink to create a /etc/redhat-release.  This is
intentional so that internal references will blow up and can be fixed.
For the final release it will get created.

  f.  redhat-lsb is whitebox-lsb.

4.  None of the Errata has been integrated into this build.  This will
happen for the final release.

5.  This RC is i386 only, the x86_64 building will begin now, but
probably won't get far before I get back in April.  The plan is to
release both at the same time.

6.  No updates tree exists on the mirrors so up2date doesn't work.
There is also no entries being created in /etc/yum.repos.d yet.  This
will be fixed.

7.  You might notice there is no source torrent.  My bad, looks like
there is an origSRPMS directory but no SRPMS tree with my changes.
Bleh.  So I just added a tarball to the torrent.  The rest of the
unmodified sources are available from your favorite RH mirror.

This will get fixed for the final release.  Considering the size issue,
both the origSRPMS and SRPMS directories will only appear on the i386
CDs since including them with x86_64 would push to five binary CDs.  In
fact since x86_64 should get built with the exact same sources is there
a reason to populate ANY source into the x86_64 tree?

8.  whitebox-buildutils.tar.gz has been updated with the latest versions
of the scripts used to create this release.

9.  The Centos folks had build problems with thunderbird and dhcpd.  I
didn't get their symptoms with thunderbird but it probably needs a bit
of extra scrutiny.  dhcpd is supposed to not actually hand out any
leases, but I just ran out of time to build an isolated network so that
I could look into it if I was going to put out an RC this week.  This
one is supposed to be in bugzilla @ RH so is probably a more repeatable
bug although I can't seem to find it now to include a bug #.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!