[WBEL-users] Hello everybody!!!

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:36:59 -0500

From: Administrador de Red [mailto:ixenrp@ehtij.co.cu] said:

> Hi fellows!!! My name's Ixen Rodríguez Pérez & I'm from Isle
> of Youth, Cuba.
>
> I've got White Box Release Candidate 2 recently
[snip]

Don't shoot the messenger, but this brings up an interesting point.  WBEL is
primarily packaged in the USA.  Is anything in the distribution subject to
export controls?  While there is nothing stopping a national of an embargoed
country from downloading the software from another country, are American
servers expected to block IP ranges known to eminated from embargoed
nations?

Maybe someday things will change but for the time being the US federal
government takes a dim view of American software going to Cuba.  This has
become even more sensitive under the current US administration.

There are exemptions for "certain publicly available technology and
software" but I'm not clear on what those exemptions are.  I couldn't
readily find details on this in a quicky search.

> and I got
> some doubts... Can I update White Box from Red Hat's update
> site???

You shouldn't even try.  In order to do this you would have to bypass the
controls they have in place to ensure that only licensed customers can
download binaries.  Red Hat has taken a fairly benign view of this project
and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

> if not, how can I do to update and upgarde my White
> Box packages???

RC2 has yum built in.  You will need to edit /etc/yum.conf to point to a
mirror site that carries the updates.  The only ones that I know of off the
top of my head are in the USA.  Ultimately because of your location you
should probably be pulling updates from a non-US server.

> PS: Sorry about my terrible English!!!!

No worries;  your English is much better than my Espanol!