[WBEL-users] Hi and some questions/comments

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:01:37 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, first last wrote:

> 1. I installed a basic system as I only had 1.6 gig free, but  when I
> try to add packages with "redhat-config-packages" it prompts me for the
> "Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD 2" and refuses to continue.

Sure it says "Red Hat Enterprise"?  I can see in the code where it might
just say "Red Hat".  Anyway, I already caught a message on this and
tracked down a probably cause and will be doing some testing.

> 2. When using the CD as a rescue disk bunzip2 fails with a "missing
> symbol BZVERSION" (or something like that). This bug seems to be
> present on RedHat 8 too. It happens on my PIII and an Athlon at work.

Sounds like a case of even copying the bugs.  Hadn't tried using WB as a
rescue disc, bummer it won't work.  Better keep the 7.3 CD handy.

> Now I also have a couple questions:
>
> 1. How can I upgrade to RC2 without downloading the whole lot again?
> Can I rsync the isos? Can I use yum/apt/up2date?

There is an upgrade directory under the 3.0-RC1 directory with some rpms
and a readme.

> 2. I tried to install on a Via ITX computer (I know it is not
> supported) and it stopped after the package selection saying that the
> computer is not supported (or something like that), wouldn't it be
> better if it gave you that message as soon as you boot up?

This is fixed in RC2.  I have two dozen FIC Falcons still in the cartons
and I wasn't writing them off.

> I copied a clean install of Whitebox from my PIII to my VIA and tried
> using another kernel (2.4.20-xfs from Knoppix), but the system will not
> work (it doesn't seem to be able to find my root partition and panics).
> Any idea on how I can get Whitebox to work with a VIA processor.

Bad idea.  The RHEL kernel is a mutant hybrid between 2.4 and 2.6.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!