[WBEL-users] Re: vsftpd (other options for ftp server)

Cesar Lagarrigue CLagarrigue@etek.cl
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:46:23 -0400

Hello :

I use in the past vsftpd, but are ok!, but the poor logs and the option of
tsl (SSL) force me to use other ftp quality server... i find these
pure-ftpd /and have nice module of webmin.../ this license is bsd

"Pure-FTPd is a free (BSD), secure, production-quality and
standard-conformant FTP server based upon Troll-FTPd. It doesn't provide
useless bells and whistles, but focuses on efficiency and ease of use. It
provides simple answers to common needs, plus unique useful features for
personal users as well as hosting providers."

home page :

http://www.pureftpd.org/

webmin module :

http://www.lashampoo.net/unix/pureftpd.wbm

This have rpm of rh9 (fine ok for whitebox)

please review the logs of the pure-ftpd

Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (?@xxx.xx.xxx.154) [INFO] New
connection from xxx.xx.xxx.154
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (?@xxx.xx.xxx.154) [DEBUG]
Command [user] [ftp-users]
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (?@xxx.xx.xxx.154) [DEBUG]
Command [pass] [<*>]
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (?@xxx.xx.xxx.154) [INFO]
ftp-users is now logged in
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [syst] []
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [cwd] [diciembre.2003]
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [type] [I]
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [pasv] []
Dec 11 12:43:22 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [stor] [backup-11122003.tar.gz]
Dec 11 12:43:37 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[NOTICE] /var/ftproot/ftp-backup/dec.2003/backup-11122003.tar.gz uploaded
(1238111 bytes, 78.80KB/sec)
Dec 11 12:43:37 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@2xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[DEBUG] Command [quit] []
Dec 11 12:43:37 syslog pure-ftpd[24400]: (ftp-backup@2xxx.xx.xxx.154)
[INFO] Logout.

Is nice and full log of the users and command, thing vsftpd not have.

and the ssl support

[root@nss root]# ftps xxx.xx.xxx.122
Connected to xxx.xx.xxx.122.
220-FTP server ready.
220 This is a private system - No anonymous login
Name (xxx.xx.xxx.122:root): ftp-backup
234 AUTH TLS OK.
[TLSv1/SSLv3, cipher DES-CBC3-SHA, 168 bits]
331 User ftp-backup OK. Password required
Password:
230-User ftp-backup has group access to:  501
230 OK. Current directory is /ftp-backup
200 PBSZ=0
534 Fallback to [C]
Protection level of data connections not changed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftps>

The client ftps are from bsdftpdssl