[WBEL-users] what does everyone think of whitebox so far?

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:37:16 -0500

Van L. Loggins wrote:

>just curious, we are thinking about trying it out on one of our servers

I run hosting servers and page tracking mysql servers. All system
critical. I prefer to run "tried and proven" vs. "cutting edge" systems.
I'm just now happy with the modules for Apache 2, and therefore am just
now satisfied with migrating from my fully patched RedHat 7.2 systems.
This mindset has provided us with fantastic uptime. In fact, our Compaq
servers are really never down unless there is a kernal update. We did
have one hardware failure a couple of years ago on one machine (did you
know if one of the three power supply fans on a dl360 dies, the machine
shuts itself down? I was not impressed... how about a warning?).

My plans at present are this. I plan to purchase one official RHEL
subscription for my main domain name server. The purpose is two fold. It
will keep me informed as to the timing of errata releases for RHEL and
allow comparison to WBEL. If something drastic comes down the pike that
needs immediate attention, I can grab the srpm and compile and install
it myself on the other machines. Paying for one subscription also allows
me to send RedHat at least some of my money to help insure the future of
RHEL, therefore the future of WBEL.

I like everything I have heard from John regarding how WBEL is and will
be done. I think it should absolutely mirror the state of RHEL, right
down to the current errata. In other words, no, I don't want a fix for
WBEL before RH has created their fix. There are simply too many test
that need to be run which is an impossible task for even RedHat, much
less White Box. I want pure and parallel... and yup, even the bad
packages. If you want state of the art on the edge systems, I would go
with Fedora. Me, I want standards.. I simply have too many machines to
keep up with and have had troubles in the past even with official RedHat
releases. I know this is a bit of a dividing line here in this
community, but I have to stand with John.. we will be as much exactly
the same as possible.

All of that being said, the systems I have running right now have all
performed as they should. Other software packagers are starting to
recognize White Box and add the OS name as supported (another good
reason for staying the same as RHEL.. if it works for that it will work
on WBEL). I'm ready to put WBEL systems in as mission critical servers
and feel really good about the direction of this project.

Best,
John Hinton