[WBEL-users] Question about RHEL Licensing

joliver@joliver.net joliver@joliver.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:11:43 -0500 (EST)

My thoughts exactly.  The software is covered by the GPL.  The redhat
trademarked images are not.  Redhat cannot put redistribution restrictions
on software that is GPL.  Once they release it to the public, they are
required to provide the source, which they do.  You should be able to
redistribute the binaries as well as stipulated by the GPL.  And in
regards to this not being the correct forum to discuss this matter, I
respectfully disagree.  Since WBEL is basically RHEL with the serial
numbers (trademarked logos and artwork) filed off, it is relevant since
technically under the GPL, you can create drop in packages to replace the
ones that reference items covered by RedHat's trademarks, and redistribute
the Redhat Binaries "as is".  This brings up another question as to
weather an entire RHEL Rebuild from source is even necessary.  Just my 2
cents.  BTW, I think that the work done by John is outstanding.  There is
an enormous vacuum now that Redhat has abandoned the base RedHat product.

-Jimmy